Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Household Organizational Binder

Number 47 on my Life List is "Organize my Life."  I always thought I was organized until I opened the "pantry" one day and a screwdriver fell out.  Now I'm just anxious! I found a new site that I LOVE. Organizedhome.com is going to help me organize my home and my life, and I couldn't be MORE excited! Cynthia, the editor of this site, is my idol and I am her stalker. I want to will be her.

My first step to organized perfection is the Household Notebook.  I started one of these a couple of years ago but never really finished it.  I put a few things in it but then forgot that I did so and just ended up "losing" them.

I started with a generic binder and Mod Podged paper to it.  Then, I stamped the front and added a ribbon.  This was all done at a class at Archivers a looooonnnng time ago.
My Binder
I also made larger dividers for each section.  The little stack of note paper in the front is great for quick reminders!  I made this by stamping individual sheets of 8½ x 5½ inch paper.
Inside of my binder
I divided my binder into six sections: Planning, Family, Home Management, Meals & Menus, Activities, and Contacts.
"Whatcha keepin' tabs on"
Each main section has subsections.  In Planning, I have: Weekly Planner, Weekly To-Do, Weekend To-Do, and Master To-Do.
Planning Section
Cynthia offers printable pages for each section.  I designed my own using her concept.
Weekly Planner
The Weekly To-Do List makes keeping up with housework so much easier!  Instead of wasting a Saturday afternoon cleaning the entire house, Mike and I spend 30 minutes a night cleaning a room designated to that day.
Weekly To-Do
Have a busy weekend?  Use this section to map out your plans!
Weekend To-Do List
The Master To-Do List will have things on it like... FIX THE FAMILY ROOM CEILING.  You know, things you want to get done eventually!
Master To-Do List
In the Family section, I have a divider for each person.  I have the girls' shot records in their section.  This is also a great place to keep track of sizes and wish list items!
Subsections under Family
 In the Family section I also keep a master birthday and anniversary list.
Birthdays and Anniversaries
I'm also going to create a tab for daycare.

In the Home Management section, I will have sections to keep a home inventory list, movie and book lists, home decorating ideas, party planning ideas, and tips & tricks.

Under the Meals & Menus section, I can plan our weekly menus! I can plan as far ahead as I want or just stick to the week-by-week schedule.
Weekly Dinner Menu Plan
I also included Favorite Recipes and Recipes To Try pages.  On these pages, I can list the recipe, where it is, and include comments such as, "Shannon loved it, Mike didn't, Jaden... forget about it!"
Favorite Recipes

Recipes to Try
In the Activities section, I have 3-hole-punched some flyers for upcoming craft shows I'm attending.  I keep these in order by date so when the show passes, I can just tear it out!
Activities
The Contacts section is where I keep addresses and phone numbers.  I have the Important Phone Numbers page first so it is easily accessible to anyone looking for it... like babysitters!
Important Phone Numbers
After that, I created Contact List pages.  Here is where any and everybody's addresses and phone numbers are kept!  I'm going to put little Christmas tree stickers next to people we send holiday cards to so I make sure to include the same people each year.
Contact List
In the very back is a page I made that holds business cards.
Business Card Holder
I think this will work out GREAT for my family!  This binder will serve as sort of a central command station in our house so we all know what is going on! 

I'm linking this idea to all of my linky parties listed here!

UPDATE: Printable pages are available in my Etsy store!!

46 comments:

Jenny said...

LOVE IT!!!!
I have TWO binders like that....looooong time ago I wanted to get organized at home and at work.....hmmmm.....wonder where they are.
I think I should give them to you so you can fill them up with info sheets and then you could give them to me for xmas present!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Dropped in from TCB:

Oh, wow. My inner organizing nerd is drooling over that binder. I love this idea and need to make one of these TODAY! Thanks!

Jenn Seratt said...

I love that you not only want your life to be organized, but beautifully organized. Great book. I hope you use it lots! Would you consider linking this up to my Sunday Art Therapy link party and flickr group at Seeds on a Breeze?

Max Teders said...

And I thought that making a note and sticking it in my pocket was the state of the art!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What a great idea--this would make a wonderful wedding gift!

Anne said...

Oh wow - that is a GREAT idea!!

Jennifer Leigh said...

Wow, it looks so nice and neat. I can tell that you really put some thought and time into it. I might have to try this.

Tina said...

I am obsessed with this! Beautiful job! Do you mind me asking what font you used for the pages?LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing!

Tina @www.ahouseofboys.blogspot.com

Heather said...

That is absolutely beautiful and amazing. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa said...

Ok, I might get something done if I had something like this. Also it would have to look like this too. So cute. You should come over and link up to Tuesday Tell All. http://mycraftielife.blogspot.com/2010/10/tuesday-tell-all-20_19.html

Life Goes On said...

Great idea. Perfect to start it now and be ready for next year. Would also make great gift for the holidays.

Unknown said...

Your binder is fabulous!

Season of Life said...

Shannon ~

Stopped by from WFMW to read your post...I also used OrganizedHome.com to create our "Smith Family Organizer". It really helps to keep things in one place. Your notebook is lovely, love the colors and patterns...cute business card holder, too.

Blessings ~

Maranda said...

This is an amazingly ambitious project, and you've pulled it off beautifully. I love your binder, not just the concept but how you put care and beauty into it. I'm totally inspired!

Jenn Seratt said...

Thanks for linking up to Sunday Art Therapy at Seeds on a Breeze. I hope you will come back every week!

Theresa said...

I just love your binder, you did such a beautiful job! I would really like to try to make one similar to yours but I am brand new to any kind of crafting. Could you please elaborate a little more on how you made your notebook, like was the book brown or is all of that scrapbook paper? Also, how did you come up with your forms for inside the book? Any extra info. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for the great idea.

Kendra said...

With a notebook that cute how could you not use it? :) I need to make one of these. Up until this point I just "remember" everything but that is gonna have to end soon! :)

Sainsbury said...

I would love more information on how you made yours. I am so new to crafting and would love and appericate the information. Which program that you used for the forms inside and also the size info. for the binder and page would be great! I have been trying to get organized for years.

Katie said...

I love Archivers, what a cute project! You put your pretty binder to good use and I love how uber organized you are now! Can't believe you went and made all those forms for yourself!!! Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! This is fantastic. I'd love for you to join my linky party this weekend!

Krista
whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

I love this! I am doing this tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

CourtneyKeb said...

Oh you made me melt!
I have a binder on my counter filled with jumbled notes of all kinds of things that you have all organized and pretty.
My binder's gonna need a make over for sure now!
THANKS!ga

I Teach said...

so organized! Love it...would love the pages...here is my email: soypalafox@gmail.com

Laura said...

What a great way to stay organized!

This week is my blog anniversary and I'm hosting a week's worth of great giveaways. Feel free to stop by if you'd like!

Miss Marty said...

Wonderful wonderful book, great idea too, if printables become available I would really like a copy. Many thanks

Marissa said...

Your binder is so pretty. I've tried to do something like this before but never finished it. I would definately be interested if you do printables.

gillian said...

Ok, that is simply amazing. I love it! Its not only organized, but it's pretty! I would loooove to have a copy of your printables. my e-mail is lifehouse_dancer@hotmail.com.

Thanks Sooo much!

Lee and Roni Poston said...

Love it love it!!!!!! I would really appreciate a copy of this. It would be a wonderful help. :)

ADayInTheLife said...

I've been needed something just like this! Printables would be such a BLESSING!
melissa(dot)spurlin(at)gmail(dot)com

ADayInTheLife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hobbyaholic said...

Really great binder. Email sent.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog about household binders and I loved it will you email me a copy of your printables to mrsandrekagrigsby@gmail.com

Thank you soooo much

Kendall Thomas said...

i would love these forms!! please & thank you sooo much! i love your notebook! i plan on making my own very soon:)

again, my email is:
kendallkrunk@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! Your printables are so cute! I wanted to e-mail you but I wasn't able to from your link. (No outlook.) Can you send me the printables?

alicia@wilcoxs.com

I can't wait to try them! Your binder is too cute for words. btw.

Jessica said...

I see a few people asking for your printables. Wasn't sure if you were up for sharing them or not. If so would love to have them for my own book. You did a great job!

Thanks,
Jessica
wells.jessica@gmail.com

Connie the crafterbug said...

This is so brilliant. You should sell them on etsy,I bet a-lot of people would want one.

Tiffany said...

Hey, I can not email you. Could you email me these pages? Thanks!
Tiffany
jacksontiffany(at)hotmail(dot)com
Thanks a million!

mommyto2 said...

I would also LOVE these forms!! Thank you so much! What a nice functional notebook!! :)

nataliescase@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. this is exactly what i am looking for. will you please please please email me these pages!!! thanks so much!!!!

sweety-peety1117@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

This is amazing! I just emailed you, but figured I'd leave a comment here too because I'm very inspired to get some organizing done! : )

Connie said...

I am SO inspired. I would love your printables as well.
cjsmith07@hotmail.com

Shauna said...

I'm so excited to give this a try. please send me your pages!! skilrain@dejazzd.com

Jana said...

Oh how badly I need something like this in my life. Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam.

Amy said...

You are featured on New Nostalgia's Anti-Procrastination Tuesday! Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

I love the back page for business cards - great idea! This is really well organized and beautiful to look at - two of my favorite things! I shared you link in a list of links for great ideas for Organizational Binders. You can check it out here - http://wp.me/p2hp9V-KE.