Tuesday, December 21, 2010

DIY Girl's Vanity

Jaden had pointed out that she wanted a dress up vanity for Christmas.  Only, I had a problem spending that much money on a pink plastic princess vanity that she would outgrow before Christmas next year.  I put my creative mind to work and came up with this beauty!

It was so easy and super-affordable!  Here's how I did it...

First, I got a couple of Sterilite 3-drawer towers and removed the drawers from each of them.

Then, I screwed a piece of pegboard (cut to the same size as the storage tower) to the side of one. 
 

For the other side, I made a padded photo/message board. 
Tutorial for this piece found here.

Don't attach this finished piece yet though.  However, you do need to set it in place so you can position the top board. 

Once you have the top board in place, drill holes and attach with screws to the plastic towers.  Then, paint the entire piece.  I used Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic.  The can says no priming needed and it also states that it can be used on wood, but I think the no-priming rule was meant for the plastic only.  I should have primed first. 

Once the piece has been given a couple of coats, seal the top.  I used Minwax Polycrylic.  I gave the top two coats, sanding lightly between coats.

Now you can attach the photo/message board.  I used E6000 glue and reinforced it by screwing it into place from the inside.

Attach the wheels... almost done!

Next step: fancify the bland drawers! 

First, make a pattern by tracing half of the inside of the drawer. 

Next, line the middle of the pattern up with the fold of your fabric and cut around the outside. 

Your fabric piece should look something like this! 

Paint a layer of Mod Podge on the inside of the drawer. 

Lay your fabric face-down on the Mod Podge.  Smooth out any wrinkles. 

Paint another layer of Mod Podge on top of the fabric.  Make sure the edges get pressed down really well. 

This is what it looks like from the outside. 

Then, I added a little ribbon trim to the outside of the drawers.  I just used my hot glue gun for this.

Now, for the chair... I had this folding chair from college:

I covered the silver parts with blue painter's tape and sprayed the purple with the brown spray paint.

Throw in a mirror and a few accessories...

Can you picture it in J's room?  Fit for a princess :o)

UPDATE: Go here to see the vanity in Jaden's room!  This is my entry for Crafting With the Stars and American Crafter.

I'm sharing this at my usual linky parties this week!

15 comments:

Jenny said...

This is ADORABLE!!! I always am impressed with everything you make, but this one...WOW!! I had my doubts as you were planning...I should know better!

Jana said...

Such creativity! I love it. Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Very inventive and creative!! You did an amazing job! Looks great!

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That is seriously impressive! GREAT job! Thanks so much for linking up to Made with Love Monday! I look forward to seeing what you create next! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

way to go girl, that looks awesome!

Kelly said...

Awesome!! I think I want one for myself!

. said...

Well, aren't you just brilliant!!! That is fantastic!!! :)

Lora said...

That vanity is really nice! Good Job!!

Merry Christmas, Shannon, to you and your family. I hope your Christmas is filled with lots of love and happiness!

Hobbyaholic said...

really lovely..

Abramyan Avenue said...

Now THIS is a great idea!! What a transformation! I love it!!

Katherine said...

This is such a great idea! It looks gorgeous!!! How did you come up with this? Would love for you to share over at my Gettin Krafty With It party!

http://kraftykat76.blogspot.com/2010/12/gettin-krafty-with-it-link-party.html

Llama said...

That is gorgeous! I love it! What an awesome idea!!:)

AmyH said...

Great work- I have a set of those drawers. Time to dress them up:) Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Awesome! Very clever!
happy crafting!
Linda

Patti MacLeith said...

What a cute project and so much more of a match than one you could buy. I would be interested to hear how the plastic is taking the paint and how the fabric is doing on those drawers. Thanks for the inspiration!