Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Crescent Carrots!

So, you're on Pinterest, right?  A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to a PINTEREST PARTY! I know, right?  Awesome.  It was so much fun and a really cool idea.  I'll post more about it later, but my contribution came in the form of these babies:

Super easy to make!  Just follow along :o)


Ingredients
2 tubes of refrigerated crescent roll dough
Orange food coloring
Endive lettuce
½ lb. sandwich spread

You'll also need cream horn cones... It sounds really strange, but they are actually pretty neat! I got mine at a kitchen store and paid only a couple of bucks for a box of six.  J said they looked like tiny party hats :o)

---

Ok, first spread your dough out and pinch all of the seams together.

Next, cut the dough into six equal strips.  Roll each strip so it makes a long, skinny snake (technical food terms here!)

Then, wrap each snake around your cream horn cones.  Make sure there is cone sticking out of the top or else it might make removing them a little difficult.

Next, mix up a little orange food coloring (red and yellow make orange... in case you failed art) and paint it on the rolls with a basting brush.  I added a couple of drops of water to thin it out a bit.

Bake according to the directions on the crescent tube.

Remove the tiny party hats to reveal a perfect cone that just screams, "stuff me!"

For the stuffing, I used chicken salad that I bought from my deli. You could use anything really.  I wanted to make egg salad to stuff in it (as a ways to use up Easter eggs), but sadly, I do not know how to make it.

Put your sandwich spread in a plastic baggie.

Snip the corner off of the bag.

Fill your cones!

Finally, stick a leaf of lettuce in the top!  I like the endive lettuce because it looks more like a carrot top.

There you have it!  Cutsie little Easter sandwiches!  

You can download the recipe page here: Crescent Roll Carrots




I'm linking these up to my favorite linky parties AND adding them to the book... Did you know I'm writing a book?  Well, a collaboration with my bestie from the westie :o)  Due out sometime in the next 50 years or so...  Anyway, ENJOY!

15 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cool. What a great addition to Easter Brunch! Very clever and yummy-looking!

Jenny said...

wow! pretty clever!!! This book, I have the first draft? And I can get a printed copy of this to add to my book?

Shannon said...

I updated with a link to the recipe page! It it at the bottom of the post. Thanks for reminding me :o)

Tarrant said...

Those are adorable!

Haley - Ever Never Again said...

These look so fun! I really want to try this for Easter. Thanks for sharing!

Haley @ Everneveragain.com

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Hi Shannon! These are just too stinkin' cute! I love how much they really look like a carrot. I'm also a little bit jealous that you went to a Pinterest party. LOL All of my friends who are on Pinterest, live in other cities. (sigh) Stopping by and following from It's A Keeper Thursday. Thanks for sharing this really cute idea!

Lisa said...

So, so cute! I absolutely love this idea!

Kate said...

These look so cool and tasty!

I would love it if you shared them at my Easter Inspiration Party!
http://crafty-kate.blogspot.com/2012/03/easter-inspiration-party.html

Thanks for the inpiration!
Kate

Tina said...

Found you on the It's a Keeper Linky Party!
I love this idea for chicken salad sandwiches! I'm going to make them for sure...but first, I'm going to share them on my facebook page! (and give you the credit of course!)
Have a great weekend..it's almost here! :-)

Kelly said...

Adorable!!!

Angela said...

I swear to you I was the second person to comment on this post, but it has since disappeared!!!! I remember telling you that I am so glad you said that this recipe is going into our book, because that's exactly what I was going to suggest. Super cute! This may be one of my faves in our future best seller! xo

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This is such a fun idea! And I bet they're delicious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Thant is awesome!! Whoever originally came up with it is a genius! Thank you for sharing!

Nattie said...

"(red and yellow make orange... in case you failed art)" -- you're a jerk.

Cassidy said...

Hoping that was meant in a joking manner (even if it was, sarcasm doesn't translate through text/post very well)