Monday, September 29, 2008

Life Beyond Measure

The ending to Life Beyond Measure: Letters to my Great-Granddaughter by Sidney Poitier could not have come sooner. I did not like this book at all. I felt like I was reading a high school social studies book... for fun. Sidney Poitier came from Cat Island, moved to Nassau, then Miami, then New York, then joined the Army, then went to L.A. He was poor, a thief, an alcoholic, a smoker, a gambling addict. He married, had daughters, divorced, married again, had more daughters. That's about it. He wrote this book for his great-granddaughter, Ayelee. I hope she gets more joy out of reading it than I did. I don't even give it one star. This book wasn't even chosen by it's cover. I thought it was nice that he was writing it as letters to his great-granddaughter. Goes to show that I SHOULD judge a book by it's cover!

I just started A Three Dog Life: A Memoir by Abigail Thomas and can already tell you that I'm hooked on it! I'll blog this one on October 13th.

No comments: