Monday, October 13, 2008

A Three Dog Life

I recently finished A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas.  This was one of the best book I've ever read.  I had to keep telling myself, "This is real stuff!  This actually happened!"  Without giving too much away, Abigail Thomas's husband, Rich, was out walking the dog one night when he was hit by a car.  He suffered a brain injury that completely changed who he was, which in turn changed who she was.  Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations, he must live the rest of his life in an institution. He has no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before. Abigail writes about how she had to build a new life and about her new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship. She shares her guilt about Rich's new life and his accident that left him the way he is; a man who lives in the eternal present. This book shares the truth Abigail discovered in the five years since the accident: "You might not find meaning in disaster, but you might, with effort, make something useful of it."  I definitely give this one * * * * *!!  Just have the Kleenex close by... it's a tear jerker!! 
 
I just started Her Last Death: A Memoir by Susanna Sonnenberg.  So far it seems pretty interesting.  I'll let you know how it was on 10/27!

No comments: