Monday, April 19, 2010

A Mermaid Party!

When we asked Jaden what kind of party she wanted for her third birthday, she told us, "a mermaid party with balloons and decorations and party hats and cake with candles and presents!"  I think we got it all covered!

 

The Cake
The body is a 9" double layer chocolate cake.  The legs are Twinkies cut in half.  The claws are chocolate chip cookies.  I baked cookie dough in an 8" round cake pan and then just cut the claws from that.  The eyes are a marshmallow cut in half with a mini M&M.  Orange mini M&Ms are on the body as well.  The sand is made from ground animal crackers (which by the way taste awesome with cake and ice cream!!  Might have to make this a regular topping!)

I'm linking this to these parties for the cake idea.


The Food
We had shrimp cocktail, veggies with dip and "sushi" sandwiches made by rolling meat, cheese and cucumber up in a cream cheese covered slice of bread.
We also had fruit kabobs and two cheeseballs made by Gramma Pat and Gramps.

The Presents!!
Even Taylor got a present!

Happy Birthday Miss Jaden!!

Mmm mmm good!

Time to play!
My beautiful birthday princess :o)

The invitation, sushi sandwiches and cake were made from pictures I found on other sites... I can't find the links anymore though...

28 comments:

Max Teders said...

We had a blast! Thanks for the fun party!!

Dollface said...

How adorable!!! xxxoo

Drew's Mom said...

Too cute! Looks like she had a great time. I love your food ideas.

Lora said...

Happy Birthday Jaden! What a fun party! That cake is so cute!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I love the crab cake! You could totally do that same cake and menu for a grown up beach party too. Love that!

Sarah Alway said...

Great theme, the girl has good taste! :-)

Kaysi said...

How fun! Looks like you guys had a blast. That cake is awesome!!

Tia said...

Happy Birthday Jaden! Looks like she had a great day!!!

LeeAnn said...

Looks like a GREAT birthday party! I LOVE the cake!

beth kruse custom creations said...

i love that cake! you should check out the mermaid cake i made. they could be friends! bethkruse.blogspot.com

Michelle @ between cottage and cabin said...

My twin daughters just told me they want a mermaid party too! Luckily I have until November to plan. You had such great ideas- I will be back for inspiration!

Jenn said...

What a fun party! You did a lot of work! Found your post on My Backyard Eden. :)

Julie said...

Very cute party! Love that cake.

Fowl Single File said...

Oh my! You did a fabulous job - you can tell by your little girl's huge smile in every photo that the party was a success! I'm in love with your crab cake and only wish I'd thought of something half as neat for the sea creature party I did last year. Again, great job!

Unknown said...

LOVE this party... the details are fabulous. And I love the crab cake!
We have a Friday Fun Finds party (on Fridays, of course)... If you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link up this week!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

As a former Marylander, this cake reminds me of back home. You did a great job making a beautiful party! Thanks for posting :)

So Sunny Day said...

LOVE THE CAKE! all the details are just lovely :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Kendra Goodrich said...

Fun idea! Like a little kid luao!! My kids would love the cake!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

What a cute party...love the cake!

Susan
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
www.crashthisparty.com

Jen said...

Wow! That is one awesome cake!

Helena said...

Wow, that cake is fantastic! And your little girl looks so happy :)

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

Ohmygoodness...that cake is C-U-T-E! As the mama of a little girl obsessed with all things Ariel, I'll be bookmarking this for her birthday this summer!

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi said...

cool cake! and I love how you did the sand, great idea!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Seriously - That is the CUTEST cake ever! I love theme parties - looks like fun! Would love to have you stop by the Sunday Showcase Party if you get a chance ~ Hope you are enjoying your weekend! I just really want to make a crab cake now!! Super cute - great job!!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

What a great party Jaden had! I love that cake! Super creative!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that cake is the cutest thing i have ever seen!!!

Anonymous said...

Of course! Ground cookies as sand! So simple, but soooo effective. Love it!!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What a fun party! I love mermaids! Thanks for sharing your post for Friday Favorites!