Thursday, April 12, 2012

I shop at The Hob

Like most of the world, I love the Hunger Games series.  I've yet to see the movie, but the books were so good!  If you're familiar, you'll totally get this:

I made a Hob shopping bag!  It was easy and fun, and I'm going to show you how I did it!

First, you'll need a plain colored, canvas bag and a bleach pen. Make sure you get the pen FOR WHITES because you want it to remove the color.  Also, the darker the bag, the better the outcome.

Put a piece of wax paper into your bag so the bleach doesn't soak through.

I found and printed a design I liked on the Hunger Games Mockingjay site.

I covered the back of the design with white chalk.

Then, I roughly traced the design, transferring the chalk to my bag.

I filled in the design with my bleach pen and waited! I made the bleach thinner in some areas for a vintage distressed look.

You can see how it started to change color.

When you have the desired color, rinse the bleach off in cold water.  I used the sprayer on the kitchen sink so I didn't smear bleach onto the rest of the bag.

Let your bag dry completely and then head off to the Hob for some of Greasy Sae's soup and bring home a bottle of Ripper's white liquor in your new bag!


I'm linking this up to all of my favorite linky parties!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

you are so creative! Love this bag, love the books too, I'm halfway through the 2nd one!

amanda said...

Cute!!!! What a great idea!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

how fun is this? I would totally carry it around. Love the Hunger Games. Great job!

-Lauren