Friday, January 11, 2013

71 Projects: Wooden Sign

Project 2: Wooden Sign
Start Date: January 9, 2013
Finish Date: January 10, 2013
Total Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: $0


Supplies:
Two Wooden Planks
White Paint
Black Paint (or Sharpie marker)
Nails


I wanted this sign to look weathered and old. I have access to an unlimited number of pallets, so I just had a coworker of mine grab me two planks of wood off of one pallet.  "Make sure they're old looking but not nasty."


I used white craft paint for the "&," and a Sharpie marker for the words.  I was going to use paint for the whole thing, but the texture of the wood (which I loved!) made it difficult to get a nice thin line with a brush.  The marker worked perfectly fine!



To hang this, I just centered it above the window in my dining room and used the holes that were already in the wood to nail it directly into the wall. I went with a nail that had a bigger head to add character to the project.


It's perfect!  I love it.  I've been looking for a sign like this on Etsy for a while now but haven't been able to find just the right one.  I free-handed the entire thing, but you could easily use stencils, or maybe even vinyl if your wood isn't too rough.

Keep track of all of my DIY projects by clicking on the DIY Directory tab at the top of my blog!




Follow Me on Pinterest

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays! I have to ask, is that just your natural handwriting? Or did you use a stencil of some sort? It looks fantastic! Pinning...

Shannon said...

Thanks, Amy! It is just my handwriting.

Deb Hrabik said...

Love your sign!
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

My Creatively Vintage Life said...

Totally in love with your sign. Love that it is just your handwriting too! Came to you from bloghop!

Designed Decor said...

I love this sign! It is so pretty!

I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/

DeDe@DesignedDecor

Jessica said...

I have a pallet in the garage waiting for me! I have it put together and waiting. didn't think of having a long, skinny sign. Love the look! Great job! Stopping by from Diana Rambles!