Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year was to lose ten pounds.  I wanted to do this last year when I discovered that I no longer fit into my shorts.  Well, I still don't fit into my shorts.  BUT, I am working with a group of 11 others and am actually seeing some results!  I was mid-week, week one, when I got discouraged because I was busting my butt and not losing any weight.  Yes, it was early, but I had a goal for myself to lose at least 1½ pounds each week and it wasn't happening.  My mom advised me to lay off the carbs.  Carbs really are my downfall...  But, following her advice, I started to see the number on the scale drop!  

I was looking around Pinterest to find some low-carb recipes and came across a girl that had made a pizza crust out of cauliflower!  I wanted to give it a shot because my family was hungry for pizza and, well, I didn't want to be tempted by that doughy crust :o)




First, using a cheese grater, I grated the cauliflower.  I thought this would be difficult, but it was really very easy!


Next, I mixed all of the ingredients together.  I just sprinkled the Italian seasoning until it looked like enough.  You can use any type of herb or spice to give your crust a unique flavor.  Because I was going to make a pizza with a red sauce, I figured I couldn't go wrong with an Italian seasoning!


After everything is mixed together well, I pressed the mixture onto a greased baking sheet.


Then, I baked the crust for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.


When the crust was done baking, I cut it into four pieces.  My family was having their pizza on crescent dough, so I just put the remaining pieces in the freezer to save for another day!


Finally, I topped my crust with pizza sauce, grilled chicken chunks (pre-cooked), red pepper slices, onion slices, diced green pepper, and a little more mozzarella cheese.  I baked it on the same tray as the crescent pizzas for about 11-13 minutes at 375 degrees and they came out perfect!


This was the BEST pizza I have ever had, homemade or restaurant.  There was so much flavor and it didn't taste like cauliflower at all!  I can't wait until my family requests pizza again :o)

In case you were wondering, after one week, I am down 2 pounds!  I'm on my way to fitting back into those stinkin' shorts!!



Follow Me on Pinterest


4 comments:

Walkers said...

Hi! Visiting from Project Inspire Linky Party! I am doing low carb as well to get that baby weight gone, and have seen this on pinterest but was afraid to try it. I'm going to make this this week! Thanks!Come on over and visit if you would like! lulustiles.blogspot.com

Heather

Janet Berry-Johnson said...

That looks and sounds really good. I'll have to try it. I'm eliminating grains from my diet so I've been using cauliflower to replace rice and potatoes in a bunch of recipes. I don't know whether your family likes mashed potatoes, but the BEST cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe I've found is here http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/07/mashed-cauliflower/
Every other recipe I tried just tasted like mushy cauliflower, but this one was delish.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Carbs are truly evil!! They have a total grip on me, but when I am faithful I shed the pounds! I have pinned this because I want to try it out. It looks BETTER than pizza!!! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

Agy said...

Wow, this will definitely boost fibre intake. I find that when we have pizza we're mostly eating carbs and there's hardly any fibre except from may be the tomatoes! Btw, would the cheese in the crust recipe make it stick to the baking sheet?